Thursday, February 3, 2011

Configure WD TV Live + Playon.tv - Watch US TV Outside The US with a VPN Part 1


Learn how you can watch Hulu.com, Netflix and many more stations outside of the US. In this video we'll show you how to install and configure Playon.tv on your home PC. Also discover some great configuration tips so you'll get optimal viewing pleasure. Simple tips like adjusting the video quality and doing basic speed tests. Also customize with plug-ins like Animal Planent, PBS/Kids, Cartoon Network and Discovery Channel. In the last part we'll touch into how to enable mobile access so you can get all this wicked content streaming on your phone or media device.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for your informative videos!
    i'm thinking of buying the WD TV Live Plus. are you connecting wirelessly? if so, what wireless usb adapter are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I use to connect my WD TV Live is a PLC. It basically is a box I insert into my power socket plug on the wall, with a LAN cable from my router going in it. Then the other one goes behind my TV with a LAN going to the WD. It works good and I get half decent speeds. Basically if you're new to this kinda system the internet connection goes through your homes electricity and when it finds the B box you have the internet going from there. My version of WD does not have built in Wi-Fi so I would've had to buy a dongle which costs around $50-80 bucks.

    Things are changing fast for me though. I just bought a Xbox 360 and it has Wi-fi but I ran into a huge problem. I can't connect to my VPN through my router. The reason is my VPN is installed on my computer and normally I only use Playon to access my media. So I need to get a router that is VPN configured that'll be my main internet source if things are not going through my main PC. VPN router's are about $200 including shipping and I'm stoked I'll now be able to connect any device in my house to a US IP.

    ReplyDelete